Moving requires a lot of planning and preparation. There are literally hundreds of tasks that are involved in a move. Having a moving checklist is a great idea. It allows you to keep on top of what is needed for a successful move. Without a checklist, it is easy to forget many necessary tasks.
Below is a moving checklist of some of the most important tasks and activities to be accomplished prior to a move. It presumes you will be using a moving company for your move.
- Get A Free Moving Quote
- If you are packing your own items, purchase the necessary moving supplies
- Create a file to keep track of moving related items, receipts, and other important information. Check with the IRS regarding possible tax deductions or tax implications for your move.
- Notify the post office you are moving. You can complete a change of address form and get more information from the United States Postal Service web site.
- Prepare a list of relatives, friends, businesses, and government agencies that need to be notified of your move. This includes all utility companies, financial institutions, doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, magazines, newspapers, health clubs, online retailers, and insurance companies.
- Gather all medical, dental, and school records. Make arrangements to have records transferred to medical providers, schools, or daycare as needed in your new area of residence.
- Call your insurance agent or company to review how your move will change your insurance policies and rates.
- Take inventory of personal items and determine if there are items that can be disposed of, sold, or donated prior to the move. Having a garage sale or selling items on eBay and Craigslist can be a good idea. Clothing and household items can also be donated. Having a lighter load can make your move easier and less expensive.
- Only buy perishable groceries you will use prior to the move. Moving is a good opportunity to use up or dispose of unused freezer or canned goods. Non-perishable foods can also be donated to charity.
- If a transport company is moving your car or boat, make sure the necessary transport arrangements have been made.
- Enjoy your last days and months in your current home. Take pictures and visit places you enjoy prior to your move. If you are saying goodbye to friends and family, have a going-away party. It can be a lot of fun.
- Be aware that moving companies usually will not transport live plants, perishable goods, matches, candles, lighters, lighting fluid, aerosol cans, pressurized tanks, propane tanks, gasoline, oil, ammunition, guns, poisons, acids, insecticides, cleaning fluids, chemicals, bleach, paints, primers, paint thinners, fire extinguishers, automobiles, and pets. Make the necessary arrangements to move, use up, or dispose of these items in advance.
- If you are moving out of the area, take inventory of items you have borrowed from friends or neighbors and return them. Also, return all library books and empty out gym lockers or other items kept in locations outside the home.
- You may want to get your carpets, rugs, and draperies cleaned. Painting, landscaping and cleaning services may also be needed.
- Organize and properly pack all personal items prior to your move. Having the right supplies is very important. Be sure all electrical items are unplugged and ready to go.